Bedford Thunder have subscribed to and reviewed the advice and guidance supplied by our governing body, Basketball England. In line with their ‘Return to play’ initiative Bedford Thunder have instigated a series of provisions to ensure the safety of Bedford Thunder players, coaches and community to ensure the risk of further spreading Coronavirus is minimised whilst provisioning Basketball activities to attendees. These provisions are put in place to limit risk to allow continued participation.
These provisions are under continual review as the Bedford Thunder Club committee continue to review and consult Basketball England and the advice issues by the British Government.
If you have any Coronavirus symptoms or anyone in your household or workplace have exhibited Coronavirus symptoms, please do not attend training.
The main symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste Anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Amendment: Rule of SIX
In light of the recent government guideline changes to implementing the ‘rule of 6’ we have been working to find a way to continue the provision of basketball to you, our members. In the short timescale we have confirmed court access and put together the following changes and procedure. Please read and follow the instructions to ensure we can continue to train.
- Tuesday training will now alternate between 1st and 2nd team squads week on week. The first team will take the slot this coming Tuesday 29th September. The 2nd team will commence Tuesday October 6th and alternate thereafter.
- There will be a maximum capacity of 12 players; 6 in each ‘bubble’. Players will not be able to interact/swap places with players in another bubble.
- Sessions will now be £5/player per week of attendance – more details below.
- The hall will now be split into 3 zones. The court will be split by the curtain and cones to ensure a 2m no-mans-land between the 2 zones. There will be a 3rd ‘Coaches Zone’ that will straddle the 2 half courts so that the coach has access to instruct both groups at a distance.
- Each week the following procedure will need to be followed:
The Training request form will be released on the WhatsApp group. This simply adds your name to the list. It does not confirm your place. The form will be closed at 23:59 Sunday evening.
We are required to restrict numbers. Places will be prioritised for last season’s players – it is our aim to provide places for all players wherever possible.
The relevant squad Coach will announce the confirmation of places including court ‘bubble’ allocation.
After 5pm, those with a confirmed training spot will need to completed the Weekly Covid Form and pay their £5 subs via Paypal – see the button below.
At arrival to the hall you will have your temperature taken and asked to proceed to the allocated entrance for your bubble’s half of the court
Link to pay subs (no PayPal account required). >>
We cannot accept cash.
Prior to training
- For anyone planning to attend a training session, they must complete and submit the electronic form www.bedfordthunder.com/covidform no earlier than 5pm on the day of training.
- When arriving at the venue, Bedford Academy, do not congregate or socialise in the car park.
- Prior to the session starting you must line up along the side of the building 2m intervals as per the marks on the ground.
- On entry to the sports hall your temperature will be taken.
- If it exceeds the 37.8c you will not be permitted to enter the hall and will be asked to return to your car.
- After 5 minutes you will be able to have your temperature re-checked.
- If still too high you will be able to do have your temperature taken a 3rd time before you are asked to leave.
- On entry to the sports hall sanitise your hands with alcohol gel provided
- Only players and coaches will be permitted into the sports hall. No spectators are allowed.
- There is a limit of 30 persons in the sports hall, including coaches and players. This will be managed on a first come first served basis.
- Ensure that your bag and belongings are placed 2m away from any other player
- Coaches are required to wear facemasks during training
- No shouting is allowed
- It is preferred that you bring your own ball if suitable. If not, one can be supplied where required.
- Activities will be run with a lean towards individual skills with one ball per player to avoid cross-contamination
- For drills, exercises and scrimmage activities where a ball is being passed between players, play will be stopped and the ball sanitised every 20 minutes.
- Inter-player contact in drills and scrimmage should be minimised.
- There is a strict 1-in-1-out policy on toilet facilities. There will be a cone by the door – when leaving the court, place this cone in the doorway. When returning, place the cone back to the side to indicate that the toilets are unoccupied.
- Sanitise your hands when leaving the sport hall.
- Do not congregate or socialise in car park. Proceed to your transport and leave promptly.
If you experience any Coronavirus symptoms within 3 days of training, please immediately inform any member of the committee (Michael Craddock, Ben Luckman, Toby Horton), email Coach@bedfordthunder.com, or use the contact form on this website.
Last updated: 27/9/2020